College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers the opportunity for students to demonstrate college-level achievement in undergraduate courses and earn college credit.
- Subjects include Composition and Literature, Foreign Languages, History and Social Sciences, Science and Mathematics, and Business.
- Most exams are 90 minutes long and primarily multiple-choice, though the College Composition exam is 120 minutes long with multiple-choice and 2 essay portions.
- You can view the resource CLEP Scores and University Course Equivalents to see the kinds of credit that can be earned.
- Contact your academic advisor to find out which CLEP tests you should take and to obtain the required letter of approval from your dean (this applies to FSU students as well as TCC students wishing to obtain credit at FSU).
- Visit CollegeBoard's website for information about specific tests, to purchase study guides, and for further information on policies and procedures before you register for the exam.
Registration and payment
When you know which exam you wish to take (see notes above), you will need to register and pay for the exam in both CollegeBoard's website and the FSU Testing Center's website:
- Navigate to CollegeBoard's registration page to register for your CLEP exam. CollegeBoard develops and maintains all CLEP exams, and determine the exam fee to fund their continued efforts.
- Next, navigate to the FSU Testing Center's Exam Registration System to select a date and time for your exam.
- Upon arrival, FSU students must pay an administration fee of $12.00, payable by FSUCash only.
- For non-FSU students, an administration fee of $15.50 must be made online through FSU's licensed RegisterBlast system.
- All payments are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Follow the rules: You are required to follow our Testing Center Rules.
- Bring identification: On the day you take your test, you must bring one valid government-issued identification, such as a Driver’s License or Passport. It must bear the candidate's full name in English, photograph and signature.
- Extended Time Accommodations: Send us your accommodation letter via email at [email protected] or bring a hard-copy of the letter on the exam day to make the time adjustments prior to starting your test.
- Math or College Composition exams: FSU students wishing to take any form of Math or College Composition (with essay) exams must bring a letter of approval from their academic dean's office to receive credit.
- Score reports: You will be provided with an unofficial score report immediately after the exam is completed. The official score report will be sent by CLEP to the institution you've selected. Scores usually show up on your institution's transcript within 2 to 3 weeks.
- Retakes: You must wait three months before you can retake the same CLEP subject exam.
Please address any questions about exam content or score reporting to CLEP. Proctors may answer questions regarding the functionality of the exam software, but may not answer questions or provide instructions related to the exam content.